Monday, November 2, 2009

Random But Captivating

In my last blog, I discussed how I was both confused and captivated in the first two chapters of The Stranger. This blog is going to be similar. Instead of being confused and captivated for pages 25 through 47, I was captivated by a different theme. Camus can be quite random.

While reading, I also found two ways of classifying Camus’ random points. I will call them “storyline random” and “just plain random.” Both classifications are exactly what they sound like. Storyline random is a random point or statement that moves the story to the next plot point. Just plain random points are points where the narrator adds some insight into something that really does not seem to have any importance, or move the story along.

Chapter two ends with the statement “nothing had changed.” This statement itself and the statement before it is, in my opinion, the most thoughtful thing the narrator has said the entire book, so far. He suddenly switches back to his indifferent self at the beginning of chapter three.

This random jump into a new subject captivates me because of its placement. To go from a thoughtful statement such as “nothing had changed” into “I worked hard at the office today” sets you off your mindset, and that is what captivates me. It sort of keeps me guessing as to what the narrator might say next, and how it will relate to the story. This random switch is storyline random because it moves the story along.

Another random moment in chapter three is when the narrator says that he really enjoys washing his hands at lunchtime, and not any other time. This statement is just plain random, and most likely has no impact on the story. Unless his love of washing his hands at lunchtime becomes what the story is about, I am pretty sure this statement is just random and not necessarily needed. This statement, however, peaks my interest because it provides us with some insight into the character. It gives the narrator another dimension while it has no importance to the plot whatsoever.

Similarly to my last blog post, I wonder whether the author had reasons for these random points, and if he did, I wonder whether they will come around to have some sort of pertinent plot point.

No comments:

Post a Comment